Verse of the Day

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Important things to know about LATEX Allergy

#1 ANYone can develop latex allergy! Latex allergy is progressive - it gets worse with EACH exposure - the ONLY treatment is avoidance. Testing via skin prick would be extremely dangerous and is NOT the test of choice because it could lead to anaphylaxis as well as be a dangerous exposure that would advance the progression of NRLA (skin test, the latex would be quickly absorbed into the bloodstream) -- those with serious and/or disabling latex allergy totally cringe at this extremely irresponsible suggestion.
#2 Latex exposures are not just skin-related (absorption). There's airborne (inhalation AND absorption when it lands on your skin, gets in your mouth, eyes, nose), ingestion (eating/drinking foods/liquids that are either latex-cross-reactives or contaminated with latex due to latex gloves in use in manufacturing/distribution/serving or latex balloons), and injection (stinging insects with latex-cross-reactive proteins in their venom, shots with natural rubber stoppers) and more (ie drugs/supplements that are latex-contaminated or have latex-cross-reactive ingredients).
 #3 Being careful and taking precautions are not enough for latex allergic people. It's everywhere (in over 40,000 products and with the airborne factor of latex gloves and latex balloons, it can piggy-back on people (hair, skin, clothing, shoes) - get in ventilation systems - carpeting (where gets redistributed airborne when disturbed by walking, ETC!)... settles on EVERYthing!

#4 You can't just take medications as prevention (body adjusts and becomes used to medications taken on a regular basis, requiring even more and more to stop a reaction)... meds also dull any warning signs/symptoms that might be present and a person can suddenly find themselves in the midst of a life-threatening reaction without even knowing/realizing they'd been exposed to latex. Once latex allergy has progressed to anaphylaxis, it's only by using epinephrine that you can stop a reaction from killing you.

#5 you are at risk for latex allergy if you eat food, take medications or supplements, go shopping, dine in restaurants, travel on public transportation, stay at hotels, go to hairdressers, visit the doctor's office, etc ANYWHERE/THING that is where latex gloves or balloons are present or in use -- you've already had MULTIPLE exposures to latex via the foods you eat, liquids you drink, places you go, air you breathe, etc. You're at "higher" risk if you work in the following industries: medical, clowning, rubber, automotive, have had surgeries or hospital stays, have spina bifida (because of the hospital stays/surgeries), ETC, ETC.

Isaiah 40:31
"When you choose to use fragrances, chemicals, or pesticides,
You are not simply making a choice for yourself,
You are making a choice for everyone around you."
© MCS America

For More Information - NRLA & MCS

Support Groups

NRLA—Natural Rubber Latex Allergy

MCS—Multiple Chemical Sensitivity

Digital Photography